Security Forces Foil Major Terror Plot in Balochistan on Independence Day

by Faisal Raza
0 comments
Security Forces Foil Major Terror Plot in Balochistan on Independence Day

Balochistan narrowly avoided a large-scale tragedy on Independence Day after security agencies arrested a suspected suicide bomber who, officials say, had planned to target celebrations in Quetta.

Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti confirmed the development at a press conference on Monday, praising the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) and police for “saving countless lives.”

A Growing Threat in Balochistan

The province has witnessed a sharp increase in militant violence in recent months, much of it claimed by the banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA). The group has shifted towards more coordinated and lethal attacks, with its Majeed Brigade spearheading suicide missions against security forces.

Bugti said the suspect arrested this week was no ordinary recruit. He described him as part of the BLA’s “sophisticated” tier of planners — a rare catch for law enforcement. According to the chief minister, this was the first time a figure of such seniority within the Majeed Brigade had been apprehended alive.

University Lecturer Accused of Aiding Militants

In an unusual twist, the alleged facilitator turned out to be a university lecturer. The provincial government released a recorded confession in which the academic admitted to helping militants plan and execute deadly attacks, including the November 2024 bombing at Quetta Railway Station that killed 32 people.

Bugti detailed how the lecturer had personally transported a suicide bomber to the railway station on a motorcycle before handing him over to another handler. The chief minister dismissed the notion that the accused had been driven by “deprivation,” pointing out his privileged background — a government job, foreign-funded higher education, and family members employed in lucrative sectors.

“This is not about poverty or neglect,” Bugti said. “This is about a conscious decision to betray the state.”

Defiance Against the “Deprivation” Narrative

Bugti also pushed back against political voices suggesting militancy in Balochistan stems from socio-economic grievances. Referring to a recent multi-party conference in Islamabad where participants contrasted insurgency in Balochistan with terrorism in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the CM said such narratives only serve to “legitimise violence against Pakistan.”

Neighbours Tried to Shield Suspect

The arrest itself nearly escalated into violence. Bugti revealed that when CTD officials arrived to detain the would-be bomber, several neighbours attempted to block the operation. All were later taken into custody.

“I urge the people of Balochistan — do not protect these individuals. If you stand with them, you will be treated like them,” Bugti warned.

Investigations Expanding Inside State Institutions

The chief minister also disclosed that authorities are reviewing the backgrounds of thousands of individuals, including government employees. Some, he said, have already been suspended or dismissed after their names surfaced in investigations.

“We’ll confront this battle with both force and law,” Bugti asserted. “But those willing to talk to the state will find our doors open.”

Confession: “A Betrayal of the State”

In his recorded statement, the lecturer explained how he was introduced to BLA operatives through the encrypted messaging app Telegram. He admitted to housing injured militants, arranging logistics for suicide attackers, and even supplying weapons later used against security personnel.

Expressing remorse, he called his actions “illegal” and acknowledged they amounted to a “betrayal of the state.”

You may also like

Leave a Comment